blog

Thursday, September 26, 2013

My Art Room-The Latest Version, 2013

I am finally getting around to posting photos of my art room this year. I try to change things up each year, just to keep it fresh. You can view last year's version here. Gone are the pennants and tissue poms above the tables. The fire marshall put an end to those. However, I think this year's version turned out just fine, thanks largely in part to the bright table coverings.


 This display is to the right when you first walk in to the art room. We have to display our student objectives or "I Can" statements, which are based on the Ohio state fine art standards.




The I CANs are held up using Stikki-Clips and are easily changed. I may be blogging about the I CANs specifically soon, so keep an eye out for those.

 
Below the I CANs are the art project charts that I use to show the art projects we have worked on, are currently working on, and will work on next. The kids have stopped asking me what we are doing every time they enter the room! You can download the charts here. (Just scroll down a bit.)
 


This is obviously my desk area,  but it is also my little nook where I have just about everything within reach. It was challenging to figure out a way to stick my desk in that corner (computer hook-up is there) without blocking the kiln room door.


Many of us use the ART letters as a classroom management tool. If the class is too loud, they lose a letter. If the lose them all, no ART. I rarely take any letters away. My classes are pretty well behaved.

 
A panoramic view. I LOVE the bird rug my cousin bought for me.

 
Once I was told I couldn't have anything hanging from the ceiling, it was back to the drawing board trying to show the different table colors. I came up with this solution, but time will tell if they survive constant use. I bought bright tablecloths from the store for around $1 each. Then, I went to Jo-Ann and bought clear vinyl by the yard- two yards per table. With all the coupons and discounts, I ended up spending under $20 for all six tables!  (Side note: what a horrible photo! The yellow table is crooked, the cabinet door is is open, and there is a box leaned against the counter, but my room won't be this clean again for a looong time, so I guess this will have to do!)


I covered the tables and wrapped the edges like a gift and taped them in place. I have had some minor holes and tears, which I am patching with clear packing tape. We also use large placemats to further protect the tables. I will have to post photos at the end of the year so you can see how they wore.

 
I also placed a number on each corner of the table so I can assign jobs easily.



Table buckets contain the most used art supplies, all color coordinated.


And, that is about it! Most of the rest of the room remains the same, which you can view on the link posted above. I really enjoy seeing other art room set-ups, so leave me a comment with a link to photos of your room by Friday, October 4 and I will enter you in a special giveaway!
 

5 comments:

  1. I love the I Can Statements!!!! I am so doing that. Thank you for sharing. The room looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you get the "I can" font? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the "I Can" font! where did you get/find that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your room, blog, and your past post about how you are proudly a thief (pinterest). My motto is, "Beg, Borrow, and Steal...and when you steal, steal from the best!"
    Here is a link to my new classroom if you want to check it out. I'm super excited about it. I borrowed a few of your ideas as well as many from Pinterest.
    http://syllatham.blogspot.com/2013/10/theres-no-place-like-home.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you get the color paint can posters?

    ReplyDelete