blog

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Melted Crayon Art

I have seen these all over Pinterest and had to try it.

I "believe" the original idea came from this Etsy store.


First, I hot glued some crayons to the top of my canvas.

I used two boxes of 24 Crayola crayons on the top a 12" X 12" X 2" canvas.

I set the canvas on top of some newspaper and leaned it against the wall.




I then used a heat gun to melt the crayons and use them as "paint"

as demonstrated in the following video.



video



The results are stunning! I can't wait to hang this in my art room.




8 comments:

  1. I've seen these around, too. Yours turned out to be spectacular. The kids are going to love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is your heat gun also commonly known as a Hair dryer? Just curious! Hair dryer is all I own..not anything called a heat gun and I def want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man...I just, two minutes ago, got done trying this out using foam core and a hair dryer. My results are fun but nowhere as nice as yours. I was having trouble controlling the dripping with the hair dryer...the force of the air was blowing everything this and that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I HAVE to try this! I have a heat tool that you can get in a craft store. It's for embossing etc. I think that would work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To answer a few questions:
    Yes, you can use a hair dryer, although it will take longer to heat the crayons.
    Yes, an embossing heat tool is the SAME as a heat gun.

    Have fun!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used a hair dryer and have done it twice... it does take a little longer and it does splatter a little more, but the results are the same... someone I saw did it in the oven too and got REALLY nice results as she put it on a cookie sheet and tilted it upwards.... very cool....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your space! wish u could pop over to the uk and add some life into my class room!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How can I incorporate a technique of the masters or compare it to a historical piece? The elements of art are present, however, I often try to teach with a connection to a master.
    Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete