blog

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Marble Painted Hearts



This is a quick & nifty little project that I pull out for my Young 5s (pre-K) classes.



Materials: 9" X 9" white paper or tagboard, 6" X 6" white paper or tagboard, tape, scissors, tempera paint, cups or bowls for paint, marbles (I found mine in the floral department at Wal-Mart), spoons, tray, spray bottles filled with liquid watercolor, metallic markers.

Step 1:
Fold the smaller square piece of paper in half and cut a heart shape. I have used pink paper in my example so that it will contrast. Usually, I have my students use white paper so they end up with two painted heart pictures.



Step 2:
Attach the smaller square to the bigger square using pieces of rolled tape.

And... place it in a plastic tray (or shallow box).

Step 3:
Place out small cups of paint in Valentine's colors. Heck, throw in a few non-traditional colors as well! Place a marble or two in each color.

Step 4:
Using a spoon, roll the marble in the paint until it is completely covered.


Step 5:
Spoon the paint covered marble in to the middle of the heart.



Step 6:
Gently rock the tray back and forth so the marble rolls accross the paper and adds color to it.


Step 7:
Repeat steps 5 & 6 until much of the paper is covered in paint.


Step 8:
I have found that the marble paint on its own is not enough to form the heart- students get bored after awhile with rolling the marbles. So, I came up with the idea of using a spray bottle to add more color. Mix some liquid watercolor (we used red and turquoise in two separate bottles) and water in a spray bottle and have students hold it parallel to the tray. Spray twice.


Step 9:
Turn the tray and spray twice with the second color.



This is an idea of what it will look like after step 9.



Step 10:
Allow the painting to dry completely and then remove the smaller square.


At this point, the paintings can be finished and if you used white paper, you should have two very cool paintings that you can mount on to colored paper.



But... if you like to add some bling and pazaaz to the painting, use these markers.


Step 11:
Using the metallic markers, outline the heart shape (students can do this before smaller square is removed) and the square shape.


Step 12:
Using the metallic markers, add designs to the negative space around the heart.



Some pre-K examples to LOVE:











9 comments:

  1. this looks like alot of fun. I bet my kids would love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial! Nice to make this combination of Pollock and Valentine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have 45 extra minutes added to the school day to make up snow days. So I have one extra art class a day for awhile. This is the perfect project for every extra class this week! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cool! I am a preschool teacher and always looking for projects that the kids do mostly themselves. Thank you! You should submit this to the Crafty Crow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I would love to be able to follow you via Google Reader, but don't see a button. I am not a big fan of Pinterest. I will follow you on FB, but it would be great a person could subscribe to your blog through Google Reader too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolyn- not sure how to set that up, but I will look in to it!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete