blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Happy Heart Flags

Today is my husband and my 19th wedding anniversary. I decided to create something homemade this year, so this vignette is what I came up with. Bonus- it doubles for Valentine's Day. I have directions for the flags at the end of this post.

This cool banner is from Lisa Frost. Love her work!


The flags are homemade.


I also made the heartstrings, based on Little Birdie Secrets' blog post.


My husband wanted cupcakes, so I bought this cool holder at Wal-Mart.

I put candy in the jar to hold the branch in place. The branch, by the way, is glittered.

More decorations came from Meijer.


How to make the flags:
Step 1: Get an old book, preferably one that has been discarded from the library! Using an X-Acto knife, carefully cut along the spine to remove the pages.


Step 2: Cut each page into a triangular flag shape.


Step 3: Notch each top corner. I have shown where to cut by adding black lines here- you should cut on these lines. *Note- by adding this notch, the edges won't show when it is folded down in a later step.


Step 4: Collect a bunch of really cool papers. Have I mentioned that I LOVE paper??


Step 5: Cut some hearts from the decorative papers and glue one heart to each flag.

Step 6: Add a line of glue along the top (notched) edge and lay a cord or string in the glue. *Note- do not cut this cord- keep it on the spool so the flags can be strung up.

Step 7: Fold the notched edge down over the cord and press to seal.

Step 8: Get some cardstock or heavy scrapbook paper to use as backing.

Step 9: Glue the flag to the backing , lining up the top edges.

Step 10: Using some fancy edged scissors, cut the cardstock so that just a small edge shows around the flag.

Step 11: Continue until you have your desired length.

4 comments:

  1. Pretty cute!! Love those cupcakes. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, Happy Anniversary! :) Very cute display and banner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *gasp*
    I don't think I could cut a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww I love the book idea. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete