blog

Monday, February 7, 2011

Cupid's Weave


This is a fun lesson to do with my kinders and serves as an introduction to weaving.
Materials: 9" X 12" construction paper in various colors, scissors, pencil, weaving strips, decorative papers (for smaller weaving strips & small 3" X 5" pieces for heart shapes), heart templates cut from posterboard/cardboard, glue,
For mounting: paper fasteners, 1/8" hole paper punch, posterboard
Encounter:
Step 1~
Have students choose one piece of 9" X 12" paper and fold it in half, as shown below. Along the opened end, have students draw a pencil line accross the top, about 1" down from the edge. Students should write their names on the line. Once weaving begins, it will be important that their names are on the edge, rather than in the middle.
Step 2~
Students begin cutting from the bottom (folded) up to the line and stop. Repeat cutting approximately every inch or so apart. It isn't necessary to measure; just remind students not to make their cuts too close together or they will have more work later, during weaving.
I tell the students that their papers should look like a hula skirt or car wash when they are finished! My students respond well when I give them visual imagery like this.
Step 3~ Have students open up their papers and demonstrate weaving. I tell my kinders that their papers are like dirt and the weaving strips are worms. The "worms" are going to go under and over the dirt until it reaches the other side. Then, the next worm goes over and under- just the opposite of the first worm. I then tell them that their worms have to snuggle up next to each other so that more worms can fit. I often walk around and help with this part as they work.
"The worms."
Before they begin weaving, I show them how "Mr. Wrong" does his weaving, demonstrating several mistakes. They enjoy catching these mistakes and often giggle and yell out, "No!"

Step 4~
In the next step, students will add the "baby worms" to the weaving. They slide a thin paper strip through their weaving, one on top of each "mama worm." Yes, I tell them that each mama needs a baby!
To make these smaller strips, I simply sent some decorative paper through our school's shredder.
A student's weaving with the "babies" on top of the "mamas."



Step 5~
Pass out several 3" X 5" pieces of decorative paper to the students and have them choose 3 different ones. Students trace around the heart templates and then cut the hearts out. Remind students to use the back of the paper to draw on so that their pencil lines will not show in the finished product. All scraps are saved for a future project!


Step 6~
Students glue their hearts to their weavings. Their weavings may be turned either direction, but all hearts should be oriented in the same way. Remind students not to be "glue monsters"- a little bit goes a long way. *smile*


Step 7~
I have my students turn their papers over (on the floor) and "rub their backs" to make the glued on pieces lie down.



Finished student project.



Step 8~ (optional)
To display the students' weavings, I punch a small hole in each corner and, using paper fasteners, attach them to pieces of white posterboard. The vivid colors really pop against the background.





7 comments:

  1. This is SO cool! They turn out very pretty! I'm always impressed with how much kinders can accomplish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the car wash/hula skirt analogy too when I teach paper weaving!! Great minds think alike?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I like the layering and the heart on top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful blog you have! I am inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's wonderful - especially for Kindergarten. I love the way the 'mamas' and 'babies' look, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sooo impressed! I love the baby worms effect too! I did this simple paper weaving project with second grade and thank goodness I have a wonderful para in one of our classes. We had to wear our sneakers that day as we ran around the classroom to give guidance. After a demo, practice day and final day these kids finally got it! It seems to get harder every year teaching these simple skills. I just want to give every kid a box with scissors, construction paper, glue, paint, and crayons because I don't think many of our kids experiment with any of this stuff at home. Which is why I'm beyond impressed with your Kinders!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the nice comments! I happen to believe that my kinder-smarters are the most creative AND the most CHALLENGING group of kidlets ever!

    Does anyone else have a hard time finding engaging projects for this age group? I try to use multiple steps and media in my projects to keep their interest. That seems to work most days. LOL

    Oh, and I must confess... I currently have an awesome student teacher, so her extra hands really helped with this projec!!

    ReplyDelete