blog

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Crayon Muffins


And what did YOU do with your day off due to the blizzard of 2011?
I spend countless hours making crayon muffins.
Step One: Peel the paper off hundreds of crayon bits. After getting tons of crayon bits under my fingernails, it finally dawned on me to use a razor blade to slice down the crayon and peel the label off. Ahhh, much better! *Disclaimer: do not let children use the razor blade! The crayons I had were very old (up to 10 years!) and the labels wouldn't come off easily. Hopefully, your stash is much newer and easier to peel.
Step Two: get an awesome baking pan. I also have a heart shaped one. Both are by Wilton and cost under $10.
Step Three: Pile the crayon bits into the pan, making sure they are slightly mounded. They will melt down and fill the gaps between the crayons.
Step Four: Bake at 250 degrees for 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely and they will pop right out. Have fun- try different color combinations!

10 comments:

  1. Your tins are very cool. I'm doing this with my own children tomorrow, but we don't have cool plans. We just have hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thing I tried once and will not likely do again! Klutz that I am, I cut my fingers more than once slicing the wrappers w/a razor blade on the curve of the crayon, after I had given up peeling off the wrappers one at a time. The kids loved the crayons (I used foil muffin tins from the $1 store) but I didn't love making them. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so funny. As I was reading I thought you and Phyl should get together with these projects you've been tackling!! Did you read her post today?
    Your crayons are really pretty, though. I might just have to do this, as my old crayon basket is overflowing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so pretty! I would not want to use them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally trying this. I was going to do it a few weeks ago and realized my silicone trays were for ice cubes. Luckily I figured that out before I put them in those cute star and heart shaped and melted EVERYTHING! Check out my blog some time, hopefully I can inspire you with some great ideas. smartypantsjohnston.blogspot.com
    P.S. I will be having little fingers peel my crayons !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I linked this to my facebook page since we were in the middle of a blizzard and knew others were looking for something to do! Couple friends tried it and loved it! I've done it before with just plain muffin tins But I love your fancy ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I soak the crayons in hot water most of the labels fall right off.(the kids love doing it) I use Wilton silicone baking molds(hearts and stars), the crayons pop right out. I hand them out the hearts for birthdays, and Valentine's day. The stars are for special stuff, moving up day, great students, etc... The student love them they make a special trip up on their birthday, every crayon is as unique as they are!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have also been doing this project during our "Texas blizzard". I am only making some for my daughter's Kinder class in the shape of hearts for V-Day. I thought of doing it for all the kids but then it took HOURS to peel the paper and my fingernails feel like I tried to pull them out with pliers! Then like you, it finally occured to me to slice the side with a knife! Still takes a while though. I will try Kelly's idea of soaking them since I still have more to finish. I also like the idea of giving them for b-days. Maybe I could even put some in my treasure box. I really like you blog btw I just found it on 50 Awesome Art Blogs.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you soak the crayons for a while (overnight is best), the wrappers will come right off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did it with standard cupcake papers and the kids call them cupcake crayons. Yours seem to have a glow to them. any tricks?

    ReplyDelete