blog

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sights of the OAEA Convention

My region- Northwest Is Best!I just spent the last four days in Columbus at the Ohio Art Education Association Convention having the time of my life, as seen in some of these photos. There were workshops, speakers, vendors, and various exhibits to see. I am so appreciative of my administration for seeing the value in me attending this convention!

**************************************************

This workshop was given by a lady who traveled to south Africa and brought back many of their art forms to use in her classroom.






She wasn't sure what these were called, but they are made from 2 liter pop bottles!



Art teachers trying their hand at making their own recycled bottle boxes. The tops open up, as seen in the bottle on the far left front. Tissue paper is Mod-Podged to the plastic bottle.




*****************************************************

The YAM (Youth Art Month) and the YPAE (Young People's Art Exhibition) are two wonderful ways to display your students' work at the state level. In Ohio, you can check out how here. These are just a few of the many pieces from those shows that were on display at the convention.

Paper pulp painting. 6th grader from Eastern Elementary.


Look at that detail!

A felt creation from a 4th Grader at Highland Elementary


3rd Grader from Montrose Elementary. Adorable!


This piece was not in the above show, but was created by a 5th grader. Amazing! It was shown at another workshop I attended.


*************************************************

On the second day of convention, there was an Artist's Market, where art teachers could sell their work. By far, my favorites were these textured clay fish. Aren't they awesome? I told her that next year, she should sell her lesson plan along with a poster of the finished fish. I'd buy it!






*************************************************
My friend, Deb, and I waited in line an hour and a half to attend a clay tile workshop. Now, before you call us crazy, let me tell you a little background. We had attended the exhibitor's preview the night before and saw how AMAZING the tiles were going to be. We also spoke to the man from Mayco who would be presenting the workshop and he told us that there would only be 36 spots available. Hence, the hour and a half wait. But, we were first in line and we were able to create 3 AWESOME tiles! (These are unfired- they will go in to the kiln tomorrow.)

Stamping technique.
My tile.
This tile is multi-layered, using masking and eyelash yarn. I still need to add the veins to the leaves.
This one is my favorite. I can't wait to see this one fired! We used fabric to make the textured background.
All of these tile project lesson plans should be on the Mayco site within a few weeks, he assured us!
**********************************************
If you haven't checked out the blog Painted Paper, go there NOW. I'll wait...
Awesome, huh? And, I was glad to find out that she is a fellow Northwestern Ohioan.
Here are a few photos from the workshop she presented, with her colleagues, on the art of the Himalayas:





************************************************
Sometimes you walk into a room and you think, "I am home!" The minute I walked into the "Passport to the World" workshop, I knew this was for me! I loved all the bright colors.

Art of Europe. Self portraits as kings and queens. How cute is that?


Love the colors on these iguanas.


These fish were based on the Canadian artist Norval Morisseau


These underwater creatures featured techniques made popular by Eric Carle.



Cowboy self-portraits. Just too cute!


Ok, this one floored me. Whoever came up with this one is a genius. The kids used their names as the stitches on the boots. Look at the close-up photo below to see what I mean.


**************************************************
On Friday night, we were bused to the Columbus Museum of Art.

While most of the museum was closed, we were able to see a few of the exhibits, including the original Aminah Robinson's from the book To Be A Drum. To see the artwork and hear James Earl Jones read the book, go here.
Aminah is an amazing artist from Columbus, Ohio. If you have not had the opportunity to view her artwork or have not heard of her, please visit her site!! She is an artist that uses fabric, beads, buttons, paint, and various found objects in her work. She often uses the topics of civil rights and the abolitionists in her work.

Detail of above work.

I was able to view her work up close, but the photos did not turn out well because, of course, I did not want to use a flash. Believe me, they are gorgeous!

Another artist from Columbus, Elijah Pierce.
His works are mostly carved and painted wood.


This horse sculpture is by artist Deborah Butterfield.
It was made from pieces of scrap metal found near her home.


**************************************
I attended a workshop on Saturday in which this high schol art teacher created stained glass windows in a mosaic style with each of her students. They used old windows and glued their glass pieces directly to the glass of the windows, finishing them by grouting and adding two hooks for hanging. Being an elementary art teacher, I am thinking this might be a better idea to use as a hobby for myself!

(The room was dark, so I apologize for the quality of the photo.)



****************************************************

As you can see, I saw many wonderful things and came away with several terrific ideas at my state convention. I encourage anyone who is able, to go!

4 comments:

  1. We had the MI conference this weekend too. I can totally relate to your excitement. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, Thanks for the kind words! I know what a fun conference! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had such great experiences at the OAEA conference. I'm sorry I missed it this year! I'm actually an art teacher in Michigan, but near the Toledo area. I agree with you that we have great art teachers around here! Thank you so much for sharing your pictures and giving me a taste of the experience!
    Megan
    http://elementaryartroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing Denise! What a wonderful compilation of the event. I have never been to an art convention before. I need to check into my local chapter!

    ReplyDelete