blog

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Beaded Star Ornament- Part 1 of the "Jolly Walk" Series

My students have been asked to decorate a 10' tree for the "Jolly Walk" being held at our school on December 4. Because this is a community event, I of course said yes! But, then the enthusiasm turned to panic when I realized the logistics of what I was to take on: Make over 550 large ornaments that will be visually stunning with little or no budget. No problem!! After scanning the internet and brainstorming, I finally came up with some decent ornaments- and none required the use of uncooked macaroni glued to something. Bonus! Over the next few days, I will be featuring the ornaments that we have created to adorn this tree.






BEADED STAR ORNAMENTS- GRADE ONE


MATERIALS: lots and lots of beads, pipe cleaners or chenille stems (5 per student, plus some smaller scraps to connect segments), thin ribbon for hanging, nametags


STEP 1: Have students thread the beads on to their pipe cleaners, leaving about an inch unbeaded on each end.



Students need to put beads on five pipe cleaners.



STEP 2: To connect the pipe cleaners, twist the ends together as shown in the following photos:












Step Three: Once all of the pipe cleaners are twisted together on the ends, they must be joined where they criss-cross. I happened to have a bunch of pipe cleaner segments that I was able to use for this.



Push the pipe cleaners together where they criss-cross (between the beads) so that you can get a tighter connection.


Twist a pipe cleaner around the intersection and twist it into place to secure.




Continue to connect the sides where they cross.





Add a ribbon for hanging and, if needed, a nametag. Hang on the tree and enjoy!




A group of stars completed.


I will post a photo of the entire tree as soon as it is decorated- probably on December 4th.
Edited: Here is a (bad) photo of the tree. The tree won the People's Choice award. Great job, kiddos!

5 comments:

  1. I really love these! I'm going to make one (for myself!) And if I get 'round to it - maybe have my students make some. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great thank you for sharing. I have been on the search for cheap easy ornaments with the little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this with my art club they loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pinned this in pinterest, I have my sample from last year hanging in my living room. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete